A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving your 2020 Goals
“For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.”- T.S. Elliot
It’s a brand new year, and social media is full of people talking about their New Year’s Resolutions! You may have some too, and we know that sometimes, especially in college, it can be difficult to stick to those resolutions. One of the most important things to remember is that your goals are YOURS ONLY. There is no perfect Instagram plan for your personal resolutions. So, today, we are here to talk about ways to stick to your goals in 2020!
9 Steps to Success:
1. Don’t be afraid to set a BIG goal. Keep in mind that a big goal will look different for you than it does your roommate or your mom. If you want to run a marathon this year, write it down! If you want to stop eating out so much, write that down too! Be ambitious!
2. Break down your goals into steps that are attainable and realistic. Build your plan to reach your resolution on your own personal strengths. It is easier to accomplish things when you break it down into steps and tasks. This will also help you to paint a mental picture of the work you have to put in in order to accomplish your resolutions.
3. Put your goals on paper! Keep your resolutions and steps to accomplish them where you can see them. Spend intentional time making a bulletin board, a fancy spread sheet, or invest in a notebook to log your journey!
4. Understand why you want to make a change or implement a resolution. It’s easy to say, “I want to eat healthier,'' “I want to exercise more”, or “I want to make better study habits”. But backing that up with a WHY will help you feel more confident and help you remember why you made the resolution in the first place.
5. Focus on what you are adding to your life rather than what you might be taking away!
6. Acknowledge your progress along the way. Don’t wait to get your medal at the end of your marathon. Find ways to applaud yourself when you accomplish small goals and tasks as well. You can literally give yourself a gold star as you meet milestones and accomplish tasks. Remember that bulletin board we talked about? Fill that thing up with stars!
7. Find accountability in a trusted friend or family member. Tell someone what your resolutions are and ask them to check in on you. This will help you stay on track and, just as important, give you someone to celebrate with along the way.
8. Make adjustments when you falter, have a bad day, or realize that something just isn't working for you. Don’t give up on yourself if things aren’t going how you planned. Let your mistakes and downfalls be opportunities that you learn from!
9. Remember that you don't have to be perfect! Any progress toward your goal, no matter how small, is something to celebrate!
Let’s make this even more practical:
It’s your lucky day, because we’ve made a list of helpful resources found right here on campus for you to use to reach those 2020 goals!
● If your resolution involves making healthier food choices, check out the MANY dining options right here at UNF. The Osprey Cafe has fresh and healthy options every day, including a beautiful and seemingly endless salad bar! Outtakes has several grab-and-go healthy options. Jamba Juice’s smoothies and smoothie bowls are a great way to fill up on fruits and veggies. Chopped-n-Wrapped is always a great choice for a wide variety of fresh ingredients that you can make into your own salad or wrap. And did you know that we have our own “Eating Healthier on Campus” brochure?? It’s available at all dining locations!
● If you want to exercise more in 2020, go visit the Student Wellness Complex. Besides the gym, the SWC offers group fitness classes and even a rock wall! You can also get a fitness assessment and make an appointment to see a registered dietitian.
● Want to get outside more? UNF has that too! UNF Eco Adventure offers challenge courses, nature trails, equipment rentals, and several off-campus adventure trips!
● If your resolutions include academics goals, the UNF Library has SO many neat opportunities. You can find tutors, quiet rooms to study in, and other helpful resources. For example, you can schedule a one-on-one consult with a librarian to get help with research projects or reserve a study room just for your study group. We definitely recommend spending more time here!
YOU GOT THIS!! Cheers to crushing our 2020 goals!