Summer is upon us! For most of us this means family road trips, long flights, and long day trips to the beach, lake, or pool. In case you were
wondering how to pack those “perfect snacks” for these types of activities and traveling, think portable, mess free, nutritious, and satisfying.
Here are some of my favorite go-to’s:
1. Trail Mix- Create your favorite combo using nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, cashews and some dried fruit.
2. Roasted Chickpeas- Take your pick of sweet, spicy, or salty flavors. These little snacks are a great source of protein and energy.
3. Popcorn- Is a great way to add whole grains! You can find single serve bags almost anywhere- Convenience stores, Publix, or Walmart.
4. Frozen Grapes- Freeze these babies overnight and in the morning just: Grab & Go! Great snack to keep you cool and hydrated as you bask in the summer sun. Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are another fun way to have a ‘cool’ snack.
5. Snack Bars- Lara, KIND, Quest, RX, and EPIC bars. Don’t let these bars fool you. They may be small, but pack a big punch in the nutrition department (filled with healthy fats, fiber, and protein).Believe it or not, you can find most of these goodies here on campus. So, after class make sure to stop by Outtakes or Ozzies and grab one of these recommended snacks on your way to the beach or the pool!
Here are some more packing hacks:
Make your own capri sun- Yes, I said it! Fill a water bottle with water and then add lemons, limes, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries or any
other fruit of your choice and chill in the fridge until you’re ready to have it. You can also freeze these drinks before going somewhere hot!
Think finger foods- Use plastic containers with compartments and use toothpicks for easy picking-up. Use a variety of cooling vegetables such as sliced cucumbers, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and celery. A variety of fruits such as oranges, apples, blueberries, strawberries, and grapes
are all refreshing as well.
Spreads- You can find small packets of hummus and peanut butter at your local grocery store. These are super convenient when you’re on the go. Pack a banana, apple, or some whole grain crackers and to spread with peanut butter. You could also pack some hydrating veggies or a whole grain pita to go with your hummus
Healthy travel snacks help keep you satisfied throughout the day and prevent you from overeating later. So, before you head towards la playa or
take a road trip to Miami, make sure you plan your snacks to help keep you hydrated and healthy!
Stay Healthy Ospreys,
Yemila Lowry, RDN
Edited by: Kristin Gerkens